Wednesday, September 25, 2013

You’re in Good Hands

I am on a Southwest plane headed for McComick Theological Seminary in Chicago.  Of course, by the time I got on board there were only middle seats left.  So I am trying to type with my elbows in front of me (wish there was less of me to be in front of!).  I am looking forward to this program I have enrolled in at our mid-west Presbyterian Seminary.  It is called the “Certificate in Executive Leadership.”  The program is designed to help develop leadership skills for pastors and non-profit administrators.  So far the readings and advance assignements have helped me focus on my strengths and weaknesses (they call them ‘growing edges’ these days). 

I enjoy getting away for a time of study and reflection, but I leave with great excitement about PCMK—who we are and where we are going.  In fact, I am working on an October sermon series that will explore our excellent mission statement.  When I was preparing to become your pastor I naturally reviewed things like the PCMK mission statement.  I was so pleased I have decided not to change a word.  It says everything I would want to say about being a healthy, forward and outward looking church.

Last Sunday, with the high school mission team reporting is a great example of what is so exciting about PCMK.  We have a church that cares about its youth and helping others.  Put those two things together and you have an experience like our trip to West Virginia that has had an impact on us all (maybe especially me—I was so proud of these young people last summer and last Sunday.

While I am away I am pleased to leave the church in such capable hands.  Our staff will take care of church business and prepare for yet another great Sunday at PCMK.  My colleague and friend, our parish associate, Charles Barton will preach a sermon with a provocative title.  I can’t wait to hear it online from my room in Chicago.

See you in church, next week.

Pastor Dale

Lindsay E. - Call to Worship
Theo C. - Prayer of Confession

Lindsay E. and Alexa L. - Children's Time

Alexandra K - Scripture Reading

Graham B. - Living in West Virginia
Juliet K. - Road Trip
Bailey F. - People we met at the worksite
Lindsay E. - Worksites
Akin A. - Kid's Club 
Team Photo
Welcoming our new member, Suzanne Katz

No comments:

Post a Comment