Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Dozen Years Ago



Where were you on that morning 12 years ago today?  If we are older than 16 or 17 we undoubtedly remember that day.  We were living in Portland, Oregon and Elisabeth woke me up with the terrible news that someone had crashed a plane into the World Trade Center.

Immediately I remembered my visit to the Towers some years earlier.  I was so impressed I even read a book on the engineering marvel of the twin towers and PATH station below.  But all I could think about was the staggering number of casualties we should expect.  Up to 50000 worked in the buildings.  I gasped a prayer for all those families, and all of us.  The death toll was not in that range, but it was still staggering.  In the words of Mayor Giuliani that day, "More than any of us can bear."

Since moving to New York, we have visited the World Trade Center site and the 9/11 memorial many times.  I even know where you can find free parking after 7pm.  We always take out of town visitors there.  I think it is especially powerful at night.  Touching the names and hearing the rush of water falling into the darkness captures the mood of the moment very powerfully.

I was not a New Yorker then, so I don't claim to know how powerfully 9/11 affected those of you who were here.  You have my respect and my prayers on this day 12 years later.

Our sanctuary will be open today for a place of quiet prayer and reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment