Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A Mountaintop Day

Day three on the work sites and kids club really paid off.  We had a very good day in three parts.
Elisabeth took a group and spent the morning visiting with folks in the local nursing home.  They sang songs and visited, to the delight of the residents.  They spent the afternoon doing Kids Club in town for the local children.  They loved it--the local kids and our kids!
Dale and Sarah took off onto Coon Branch Road with two projects.  Dale's team finished installing a new floor for a woman named Agnes.  The kitchen floor sloped 6 inches over seven feet.  We built a rather ingenius new floor that brought it level.  Mission accomplished.
Sarah took a team further up the mountain and painted the mobile home for an elderly couple there.  They almost finished and another team will go tomorrow.
In the evening we went on an excursino to Miracle Mountain.  The view from the mountaintop was stunning with mist settling in the valleys below.  We had a bonfire with s'mores.  A recipe for a wonderful summer evening.  The group sharing is getting deeper each evening as we reflect on verses from Romans and all that God is doing in and through us.  
We are encouraged by how many people are checking out the blog. (over 60 at last check).
I'm tired now and up past curfew to send you a paragraph from Dylan and some more pictures.  Check again tomorrow evening!









Hey, this is Dylan Tai, and today was our second-to-last day of working part of this mission trip- it's really weird to think so though. Time flies by so fast, well at least when you look back on it and not in the moment. I'm not going to be that one guy that says "I don't want to leave" because I honestly do miss having cell phone signal, video games, not having to wear slippers before walking into my shower, my friends, having actual blister medicine instead of pouring salt on it (that REALLY hurts, by the way), etc. Although, the people here I've met really did change my view on life as a whole and made me view cultures differently. It's amazing how one person's story, one person's testimony, can change so many peoples' philosophies. Not only that, but some people that came to West Virginia with me transformed from being regular people to people with amazing talents. I'm excited to come back home and finally sleep in my room without 30 other people, though I will always remember the people I met and the lessons I learned here. I won't ever forget the people that live here: no matter how small that person may be. Whether it was the little six year-old Bruce/Michael (they're the same person; his real name was Michael and he liked being called Bruce) who was way to excited all of the time or the elderly woman Agnes who was always smiling with one of the most depressing stories I have ever heard, I will remember these people like they were my brothers and sisters. Let's go out with a bang tomorrow, I'm off to pour some more salt on my lips :(.

No comments:

Post a Comment