Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day Two: Settling In, Facing Challenges, Meeting People

Hi from Elisabeth
This is the week of learning to be sempre gumby - as they say in the navy - really flexible!  I have the privilege of working alongside your amazing youth as we lead Kid's Club each afternoon.  Watching our PCMK youth engage with the children is simply amazing.  I had no idea that they would connect to them so easily and with so much energy and love - what an inspiration!  While there is much chaos and craziness here - teaching us ultimate flexibility - our youth show maturity that is simply beyond their years and they are easy to live with and wonderful to work alongside.  Loving this week - loving our youth.  So glad I came along on my 9th mission trip even though the 8th was supposed to be the last!

Hi from Lindsay!
Today I worked on painting a trailer and we had to drive up and down multiple, steep mountains to get there. After starting that job, we left and went back to the school to do Kids Club. We all made visors and played jump rope and limbo with the kids. After blowing bubbles with two adorable girls, I retreated back to my room to find out that I had received a wonderful letter written by the girl I had met yesterday when I was working on a roof. The wonderful letter was by far the best experience so far this week. After getting the letter, I went to eat dinner and a lady from another group approached me to say that the little girl who sent the letter had been talking about all of us the whole day! I was so happy to see that we had really established a connection with a girl who we had just met. We got to learn so much about her: how she played softball and was a swimmer, her little sister Brooke, and that she had an enormous doll house that she loved that was in her living room. This trip has really opened my eyes to how relationships can not only impact others, but also ourselves. I'm so excited to see what the rest of the week has in store!

Hello from Alexa =D
These past days have been a really great experience and learning opportunity.  From driving around and looking at the scenery and talking to all the wonderful people we get to meet, you really get a feel for the community and become deeply attached to McDowell.  I have to say, one of my favorite experiences has been Kids Club.  I formed a great friendship with an adorable 7 year old, Keniya.  We worked on our crafts together and helped with the games and organizing/establishing the rules.  On the second day of Kids Club she introduced me to Tatie who has an adorable smile and a simple way of telling you what she wants.  I've had the great opportunity to form bonds with these wonderful kids - as I spent the entire Kids Club helping out with them.  Unfortunately, each person in the group only has 2 days of Kids Club and today was my last.  I'm going to miss Keniya and Tatie a lot, but I'm happy to have met such wonderful kids.  I can't wait to meet even more amazing people!







Kids Club

Cleaning out a fire pit

No comments:

Post a Comment