Thursday, May 28, 2015

Memorial Days 2015






No, it's not a typo in the title.  Did you know there is an alternate date for Memorial Day?  I found this out when I was invited to speak at the Mt. Kisco American Legion's Memorial Day recognition this Saturday, May 30th. When I asked why it was on Saturday, my host said that the 30th is the original (and appropriate date) in their view.  So I went to Wikipedia to learn about the history of the holiday.  It was in 1968 that congress passed the "Uniform Monday Holiday Act," to ensure that Memorial Day, and three other holidays, always landed on a Monday (who doesn't like a three-day weekend?).

I was alive in 1968, but I was a kid in Canada, so I never knew of the Memorial Day controversy. What is not controversial is the debt we owe to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in service to their country.  While it is great to celebrate the start of summer, we must never forget the true meaning of the day.  Elisabeth's father was killed before she was born while serving in the U.S. Navy, so we know a little of the sacrifice millions of families have made (about one million Americans have died in all wars combined).

A nice Memorial Day tradition here in Chappaqua is the annual parade and ceremony.  It is truly a small-town affair with world-class celebrities.  The parade is small with a handful of Viet Nam veterans and a small bagpipe band.  Marching in front of the parade were Bill and Hilary Clinton.  I was able to get close to both of them after the parade and even shook the former President's hand.  While it was exciting to have the ultimate power couple in attendance, the program went forward with recitations of the biographies of several home-town heroes.  Some were even read by local high school students.  The Greeley High School band, including some PCMK youth, played several patriotic songs.

I will have a new appreciation for Memorial Day in the future, whether or not I get to shake the hand of a former President (or a current Governor like two years ago).

See you in church,
Pastor Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment