Friday, July 4, 2014

The Week is Almost Over

 Today is the last day on the trip!:( It's July 4th too, and so far we're helping set up the barbeque the community mission service is providing. We painted the tables yesterday so everything looks very nice! After this we're traveling to Canada to spend the rest of the day, and are going to go on the Maid of the Mist, which is a boat that takes you under the falls! I'm so exited, but also sad to leave everyone I met at the community mission, especially the children. I've become really close with Alexa, a little girl who is living here, and every day she runs in the room and hugs me, and begs me to have lunch with her, which I do.  She always  has so much to talk about. I will miss her a lot, and hope I was able to be a good role model and make an impact on her as well.
-Juliet:)

Parents and PCMK family, you would be so proud of your high schoolers.  These are some of the most amazing young people I have ever been around (and I've been around a lot of them in my time).  They work hard (most of the time) when there is work to be done, and they play hard when they have time to goof off.  They have survived living together in very close quarters for a week with no fist fights.  We have gotten on each other's nerves (an old person's expression), but they are quick to forgive.  They will be fighting one minute and having a blast the next.

What has impressed me most is that they are really thinking about and processing what they are experiencing.  Last night at our group time one of the youth observed that she's always heard Westchester and especially Chappaqua was life in a bubble.  She never knew what that meant until spending a weeek in this community where everyone seems to be struggling so much.

Yesterday we had a tour with Pastor Mark, the chaplain of the Mission.  We saw the rooms that serve as emergency shelter, and HIV/Aids section and the respite rooms (for people stuggling with mental illness).  He observed for us that these would be the people Jesus cared about and would want to help.  So they were being Christ-like as they helped the MIssion help them. I agree.

We are looking forward to one more day in Niagara Falls, NY and Canada.  We'll see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment