Monday, February 3, 2014

The Pastor's Study




My home study

Pastors are supposed to study.  No, we don't usually have to study for an exam.  But we do have to get out the books to prepare for sermons and for ideas on church leadership.  Traditionally the pastor's office in the church was referred to as the "pastor's study."  I like the custom, but for me it doesn't work.  I can't do any serious study or reading at the church office.  I go the church for meetings, to meet with staff and to answer emails.  I prepare sermons and do all my reading at home.

 Fortunately, I have a great 'study' in the manse.  I have a beautiful view of the woods behind the house where I can watch the changing of the seasons.  But then every once in a while a pastor needs to get out of town to study in a different setting.

Since last fall I have been enrolled in a program at McCormick Seminary in Chicago.  I have completed three of the four classes, with one more in April.  The focus has been on church leadership, and it has been stimulating and helpful.  I plan on using some of the material with the session at our retreat in March.

So, if you don't see me at the church, it doesn't mean I am goofing off.  I am probably in my study reading, writing and thinking.

See you in church,
Pastor Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment