Monday, September 17, 2012

Sept 30th Installation Service 3pm

Have you ever wondered why pastor's need to be installed?  I know I have.  It sounds like an appliance, "The plumber's coming to install the new dishwasher."  Then again, pastors have been known to wash dishes; so maybe that is where the term comes from.
Whatever the source of the word, it is an important tradition in our church.  On the one hand, of course I have been your pastor since you confirmed my call at a congregational vote on April 22nd.  And then I began work (and getting a pay check) on June 1st.  But the service of installation is where the Presbytery of Hudson River makes it official.
What I appreciate most about the installation service is that it is done in the context of worship.  A commission of teaching and ruling elders from our Presbytery will lead us in a Reformed order of worship.  We will sing hymns, offer prayers and be inspired by our choir and a solo by Elisabeth.  The preacher will be a friend from California, the Rev. Debbie Whaley.  Then there will be questions asked of me and the congregation according to our Book of Order, followed by the prayer of installation and the laying on of hands.  
In my previous two churches I have found this to be an important, spiritually fulfilling milestone in my ministry.  I do hope you can be in attendance so we can officially begin our ministry together, which may very well include doing the dishes.
See you in church,
Pastor Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment