Friday, July 6, 2012

Thousands of Presbyterians
Downtown Pittsburgh has been overrun by Presbyterians wearing name tags and carrying Books of Order.  This is my first time to attend GA and it is really quite impressive.  The main assembly hall looks like something from a national political convention (minus the red, white and blue bunting). I continually run into people have known from my church in Portland, to my time at San Francisco and Austin Seminaries.  I have even met ruling and teaching elders from Hudson River Presbytery over a delicious dinner at a local restaurant on Tuesday evening.
The work of the GA is difficult, controversial, and important.  It is where we try to speak with one voice in the midst of our diversity.  Important issues about Palestine and marriage equality are on the docket this year.  You can follow developments at the pcusa.org website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment