Monday, November 24, 2014

A Surprise Party




November 20, 1994


November 23, 1014

A few weeks ago I realized that I was approaching a significant milestone in ministry.  I was ordained as a Minister of Word and Sacrament on November 20, 1994, so this year marks 20 years in this crazy and amazing line of work.  Well, I should have known, but Elisabeth let some folks at PCMK know about this anniversary and next thing you know we had a party!  My colleague in ministry, the Rev. Charles Barton had very thoughtful remarks and the Fellowship Team put on a beautiful reception.  The most embarrassing part was the picture from 20 years ago!  What happened!

As I think back over 20 years it is as though God has had a plan all along.  I feel the experiences I have had in three different congregations have prepared me to be the pastor of this diverse, intelligent, gifted, motivated and compassionate place we call PCMK!  If I try to think of the highlights of the last two decades I remember close to 20 mission trips with youth and adults; dozens of baptisms, weddings and funerals; hundreds of sermons; countless session and committee meetings and many wonderful staff colleagues.  But the best part of all is the rhythm of starting my week in worship with my church family.  I usually have lots going on, but it is still worship and it is still a chance to greet good people over a cup of coffee and a cookie.

That reminds me what happened to the guy in the picture--thousands of cookies over 20 years!

As we move through this week of Thanksgiving we prepare to prepare; we are getting ready to get ready.  We once again begin Advent, the season of preparation for the greatest celebration of all--the birth of the savior.  Advent is a month-long party that starts and ends with worship (November 30th and December 24th).  In between are celebrations like the Christmas Fair, the Children's Pageant, and Lessons and Carols.  And, oh yes, lots of cookies.

See you in church,

Pastor Dale

No comments:

Post a Comment