Monday, January 28, 2013

summer's coming

Sunday afternoon there were ten high schoolers and their parents in our living room.  That adds up to a rather large group, but we squished in around the fireplace and the TV.  I stood in front of the fireplace and told everyone about my great experiences on over a dozen summer mission trips.  They are life-changing in so many ways.  I have great memories of trips to Mexico, Honduras, Jamaica, Arizona, California, Mississippi and Alabama.  The memories are of relationships built with people of those communities and watching the youth group grow closer together.  Elisabeth and I could both heartily endorse going on a summer mission project.
We gathered around the TV to show a video on a mission project to West Virginia with an organization called Experience Mission.  After some technical difficulties with our laptops, we made it work.  The images of the beautiful mountains and the smiles of children made everyone ready to sign up.  If all goes according to plan we will leave on June 23rd for a week of road trips, home repairs, playing with children and growing closer to God and each other.
I'm looking forward to summer for lots of reasons.  I love driving my convertible and barbecuing on my deck.  But this trip to West Virginia promises to be the highlight.

Pray that it comes together.

No comments:

Post a Comment